Monday, September 9, 2013

Losing Faith in your Country


I recently read an article focusing on the sad state of affairs regarding our territorial sovereignty:

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/61320/losing-ground--how-ph-has-handled-sabah-west-philippine-sea-disputes-over-the-years

I was disheartened to read one comment from a reader saying he is so ashamed for being a Filipino because of the inaction of many of our leaders and the rampant corruption in our government.  To those of you who feel the same way and feel there is no hope left for our country, and even wish they could change their nationality and even the very fabric of their being, I only have this to say:

I'm sorry you feel ashamed for being a Filipino.  I can't blame you either.  There's a LOT that needs to be done to put the Philippines back on the right track. Personally, I still have hope for the future of this country.  I want my children to grow up proud of their country and try to teach them that we have to do what is right in order to have a better future. Every chance I get, I show them the shortcomings of our country, leaders and fellow countrymen, but I also try to teach them what we need to do to become better.  I know that what is right is not always the easy thing to do, but we need to have faith that things can get better if we do our part, no matter how small it is.  Even when things are looking bad, I tell my children DO NOT LOSE HOPE and ALWAYS DO WHAT IS RIGHT.  Because I believe that personal integrity, hard work and hope for a better future can help us get to where we want to be.

I really think that recent events are now forcing our leaders to move in the right direction (the PDAF and other govt scandals, people become more aware and vigilant against crime and corruption, China showing its true intentions, the push for the FOI bill, AFP modernization, our president actually taking a firm stand on defending our sovereignty). We are already very late in the game when it comes to having a credible self defense capability, that is painfully obvious, but I see that there appears to be a genuine desire from some of our leaders to actually do the RIGHT THING. Honestly, I wish there was some way I could contribute to our country aside from paying taxes and following the rule of law. I have even sent emails to the office of the president expressing my views (I can only hope it actually reaches the president, but I wont bet on it since I am not a gambling man).  Anyway, I think I am too old to be a soldier and probably no good at fighting anyway :)  but I think I can still help somehow with my technical skills and knowledge if given the right opportunity.  I just hope I am not alone in thinking like this...

Finally, I always tell my children: "Walang magmamahal sa Pilipinas kung hindi tayong mga Pilipino."

No comments: