Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Going back to GUNPLA! Hello there Tallgeese!

This has probably got to be my LONGEST backlog ever as far as building Gundam Plastic model kits (GUNPLA) goes...  If memory serves me right, I bought a couple of Gundam model kits back when I was still in high school.  I always said I'd build them all before the end of that year.  We'll, that was back in the early 90's.  Guess what year it is now LOL!

Anyway, i've been able to take some pics of my feeble attempt at giving my old battle-worn 1/144 scale Gundam Tallgeese Mobile Suit an Iron-Man color scheme make over!

To be honest, I'm not too happy with the paint job since it's my first time to use acrylic spray paint.  I lost a lot of detail (panel lines, edges, small contours), so I'll need to do something about that in the future.  Too bad I lost the shoulder armor plates as some of you Gundam fans will likely notice.  It's been a really long time since I got this guy out of storage, and in between, we moved house (lots of stuff tend to get lost during such times right?).  Anyway, I'll probably get another 1/144 Tallgeese and hopefully do a better job this time.  I previously used Tamiya paint for brush painting.  But since it's been quite a while, and with the aid of the Internet, I have gathered various tips and techniques that I can now apply (insert maniacal laugh here)!  I need to control how much spray paint I apply (which is actually harder that it sounds).  So I'm seriously considering buying an airbrush just as soon as I have the extra cash.  I'm also contemplating going back to hand painting but this time, I'll experiment with thinning my paints first (such a newbie mistake!).

There's so much more I'm learning about building and painting model kits at the moment that my brain could burst hahaha!  It's a fun hobby, it's impractical, some say it's childish, and it'll bore a hole in your wallet for sure if you're a Bandai brand purist!  But GUNPLA is something I'll keep on doing simply because it makes me happy.  And shouldn't that be enough reason for doing anything? :D

   
In case some of you are still wondering what the original paint scheme looks like, here's the box art (still looks awesome btw), which I originally tried to follow to the best of my abilities back in the day (which wasn't really all that good).   :D





No comments: