Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Movie Review: The Happenning



Although the idea for the film's story was rather imaginative... This is probably the worst movie I have seen this year!

Shyamalan does not bother to give any specific insight into what really causes the deaths of so many people and leaves the viewer to come to their own conclusions based on TV news broadcasts and the hypotheses of the characters themselves (mainly Mark Wahlberg). Come on now, at least they could have spent some money on some visual effects just to make things interesting (like showing microscopic reactions inside the plants as they produce their deadly toxins to get rid of humans). Totally bland visuals abound.

Sub-par acting by nearly everyone in the film. Not even the presence of Mark Wahlberg managed to give the movie any saving grace. Very disappointing. Mark's wife in the movie appeared more like a woman on the verge of going nuts instead of a wife trying to get rid of an unwanted suitor. I didn't feel any tension or urge to hold my breath during any of the scenes... The film was simply not gripping or suspenseful. Again, I have to say I was dissappointed.

There is a distinct lack of suspense in the film as the antagonists appear to be nothing more than plant life (which makes for very boring enemies).

The film tries to keep the audience's attention by using short, grisly displays of suicides (people shooting themselves, a zookeeper feeding his arms to lions, a man lying down in front of a harvester, etc.)

The protagonists are mercifully spared at the end when they finally decide to brave the invisible enemy (guessed to be a deadly neurotoxin from plants) and at least perish together.

I really can't remember anything else except that I left the cinema house with two distinct thoughts: "I want my money back" and "I should have just gone and watched the Incredible Hulk instead".

You have been warned!!!

No comments: