Sunday, July 7, 2013

Concept Gundams for the Philippines

Inspired by the movie +Pacific Rim, I also decided to do some sketches of what Philippine designed Gundam Mobile Suits might possibly look like.  Hey, I'm an optimist when it comes to the future of my motherland!  The Gundam setting I was aiming for was Mobile Fighter G Gundam hence the use of "Neo-Philippines". :D

My first sketch:  Adarna Gundam (Adarna is a mythological bird with magical properties in Filipino folklore).  This is primarily a long range combat unit as it packs a lot of missiles and other long-range weaponry.  I have to admit though that the design was influenced by elements from Voltes V, Destroids from Macross, Gundam Sandrock, a Roman gladiator and a rooster!  (Whew!)














My second sketch was inspired by ethnic themes one would normally see in Mindanao.  I call this one the Lapu-Lapu Gundam.  Note the broadsword and shield which shows this as a melee unit.  It also has a Gatling cannon on the right shoulder area.  I was also thinking of this as a possible mass-production unit.


































Lastly, I made the Indio Gundam, (Indio was a racial term used to refer to native Filipinos during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines).  My idea for this was to have another melee unit whose primary weapons are "Arnis" sticks and a "Kris" sword.  Well, that's it for now.  Hope you like these illustrations.  Till my next blog, keep feeding your imagination! :D


No comments: