Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pacific Rim - No Jaeger for the Philippines?

So I already mentioned that I'm pretty stoked with the movie Pacific Rim.  I was so excited with this movie by one of favorite directors (Guillermo Del Toro of Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth fame), that I just had to make my concept of what a Philippine Jaeger would look like.  What's a "Jaeger" you ask?  A Jaeger is basically a human-piloted giant robot that fights giant monsters called "Kaiju".  From what I've seen in the trailers so far, the Philippines didn't get it's own Jaeger for some reason (Is our country just for Kaiju poop stopovers?  BOOO!), anyway, a Jaeger probably cost billions of dollars to build so I'm not gonna complain anymore and just show you what I have so far.  This is something I already posted in my Facebook account so some of you might have already seen it.  I have a few more in the works and I hope to have them posted here very soon!  I call this Jaeger TIDAL SPIKE !

To be honest I sent the webmasters a suggestion to have a "design your own Jaeger" contest (and not just the design your own Jaeger using parts from the Jaegers shown in the movie).  Looks like I wasn't the only one who wanted to see what other fans had in mind for original designs, and boom! They actually held a contest!  Unfortunately, it was only for US residents (BOOO again!).  BUT, Since I'm a big fan of Del Toro and giant robots/monsters, I did my own designs anyway.  If this post peaked your interest, go visit the Pacific Rim Facebook or Google+ account for more juicy tidbits on this movie!  AND WATCH THE MOVIE!  :D























In designing the TIDAL SPIKE Jaeger, I was thinking of a mech that could not only engage in close quarters combat but also do damage from long distance.  Here's a quick rundown of TIDAL SPIKE's specifications:

Height:  260 feet
Weight:  2100 tons

Weapons:
1)  Hi-density / Hi-velocity drill spikes
2)  Head-mounted medium-range plasma cannon
3)  Two (2) hip-mounted plasma cannons
4)  Two (2) shoulder-mounted AKM (Anti-Kaiju Missile) pods
Power Source:  Advanced Heavy Water Reactor Core

Here's what my original sketch looked like before I started working on it in Photoshop.  Just goes to show nothing's set in stone when you're on a roll with your ideas... :D


If I have enough time, I'll try to make a battle spec section just like the one below of my favorite jaeger, CHERNO ALPHA (you just gotta say it in a heavy Russian accent)!




No comments: